Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Senorita  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:00:03 AM(UTC)
Senorita

Groups: Registered

I was approved for disability retirement on Dec 5, 2007 after a year of waiting for them to decide.
I am still waiting for some kind of payment. When I finally get through to OPM they tell me my paperwork is in a claims department pending reconsideration.
I don't understand. What needs reconsidered if it's already been approved?
I keep getting the run around and voicemails,etc. No one will give me a straight answer.
I am a single mom and running out of money waiting on them. Can someone tell me what's going on?
Thanks,
Jana Kay
superdave  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:28:23 AM(UTC)
superdave

Usually they will send you an interim payment until they figure out the exact amount and I have heard anywhere from a month to a few months for that. Have you considered contacting your congressional rep for an inquiry? They will usually get a quick response, usually within 30 days.

http://www.house.gov/
postalwiz  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:49:50 AM(UTC)
postalwiz

As you seem to have a computer here is an E-Mail
address that you may try to get an answer fast.
Gearl.Sullivan@opm.gov-give him your CSA or CSF
#, tell him when they send you the letter stating
it had been approved, that you have contacted the 800 line and what they have told you and that
you are hurting financially and you need to know
when they are plannig in finalizing your case; that if he cannot help you to pass the e-mail to the proper party and yes it is Gearl/
Senorita  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:29:07 AM(UTC)
Senorita

Thanks very much SuperDave and Postalwiz. I will try both of those right away.
Senorita  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2008 8:53:48 AM(UTC)
Senorita

To Superdave and Postalwiz,
I just wanted to let you know that after your reply I received a call from OPM and they found my paperwork and are starting it up again. And they are sending my interim payments starting Monday. So finally I can be a little less stressed! I was going POSTAL!!!!! But thanks again to both of you!
rda  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:03:03 AM(UTC)
rda

they just put 3400 in my bank and no letter yet as to why. hope thats not all but i did owe them 11,500 from ss and 240 on sick leave which will eat up some of it. sure wish i knew more about years and mine.

good luck
federalfam  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:16:50 AM(UTC)
federalfam

Be careful and save some money! If they overpay (and it is customary for them to do that), then you will have to pay it back. My overpayment was around $1100.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed