Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
silly  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:22:40 AM(UTC)
silly

Groups: Registered

My question is can a person who tried to enlist with the US military, and was not accepted due to health/medical reasons or for any other reason, can this person use the nonacceptance letter/document to apply for a government job claiming Veteran's Preferance by providing Confused the denial of entry letter?
ldl5112  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:26:57 AM(UTC)
ldl5112

If you were rejected by the military, you aren't a veteran. Therefore, no veteran preference.
Victorious1  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:34:24 AM(UTC)
Victorious1

How could you claim Vet's preference if you never served in the military? I think you really knew the answer to that question before you posted it... DUH!
htreed57  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:56:20 AM(UTC)
htreed57

And you will also not be able to qualify for positions that require a Ph.D. just because you were not able to get accepted into a Ph.D. program.

And you will also not be able to qualify for positions that require 20/20 vision just because your LASIK surgery wasn't successful.

And you also don't get the disabled veteran preference just because you were never in a combat situation where you had the opportunity become disabled.

And so on and so forth.
InfoSecAuditor  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:24:01 AM(UTC)
InfoSecAuditor

What an odd question.

-ISA
ChillinOut  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:29:17 AM(UTC)
ChillinOut

Based on your post, I suggest you apply as a U.S. citizen.

If you have ever been a military or civilian federal employee, then it would be a good idea for you to post again with this additional information.
silly  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:47:12 AM(UTC)
silly

You know I thought this was a site for serious conversation; I am inquiring on behalf of person who was trying to applying and he was informed that he could be considered using Veterans preference if he ever applied with any branch of the US military and was denied due to failing the medical or physical requirements. He could use the letter he received from the military stating the military was able to consider this enlistment due to him not meeting the medical or physical requirements, which is a long shot, but there may be someone who does know if this is a fact.

Shame on you all who were harsh with your statements against this US born citizen who at the very least tried to en-list to help and stand up for the rights of his fellow US citizens.

Anyone with any factual mature knowledge that may assist with my question may reply. I know this is an odd question, but some things are possible when we least expect it.

Thanks to all, you are forgiven, may God bless you!
flyers29  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:09:56 AM(UTC)
flyers29

quote:
Originally posted by IHS_employee:
You know I thought this was a site for serious conversation; I am inquiring on behalf of person who was trying to applying and he was informed that he could be considered using Veterans preference if he ever applied with any branch of the US military and was denied due to failing the medical or physical requirements. He could use the letter he received from the military stating the military was able to consider this enlistment due to him not meeting the medical or physical requirements, which is a long shot, but there may be someone who does know if this is a fact.

Shame on you all who were harsh with your statements against this US born citizen who at the very least tried to en-list to help and stand up for the rights of his fellow US citizens.

Anyone with any factual mature knowledge that may assist with my question may reply. I know this is an odd question, but some things are possible when we least expect it.

Thanks to all, you are forgiven, may God bless you!

Sorry that he was misinformed, but don't you think that's a reeaaaaaaally big stretch?
silly  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:59:38 AM(UTC)
silly

I totally agree with you, I could not beleive this myself. Again there maybe someone out there who knows of where this supporting information can be found if it is at all true. I have tried to locate this information with no luck so may be because it is not a fact. I know this is a long shot, however it does not hurt to try. Thanks for your concern.
Victorious1  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:47:02 AM(UTC)
Victorious1

It would have been nice to know more of the background of the whole scenario, before we started answering the original question. Tell "your friend", HELL NO!!! He absoloutely cannot get veteran's pref if he wasn't ever in the military. Again, I say, "DUH"!!!
silly  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:06:47 AM(UTC)
silly

Well thanks for your inconsiderate remarks and childish attitude. May you sleep well at night.
TheFrederalGovt  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:21:13 AM(UTC)
TheFrederalGovt

Hey GS7forLife,Relax!!! He was asking the question on behalf of a friend you don't need to harp on the topic starter for this.
htreed57  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:22:01 AM(UTC)
htreed57

Why would they leave the Veteran's Preference benefit wide open to such abuse? Think about it. Anyone with a physical condition that they know would preclude them from military service could safely apply to the military, knowing they wouldn't be admitted, and then claim Vet's Pref. The bottom line here is that "it's *not* the thought that counts."
htreed57  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:24:53 AM(UTC)
htreed57

Oh, and I have a 5 veteran's preference that apparently I will not end up using, since I just accepted a great job offer in academia. Perhaps I can sell my vet pref to your friend, or auction it off on EBay...I don't know.
flyers29  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:51:46 AM(UTC)
flyers29

IHS, just to be a bit constructive--there are plenty of threads here that talk about vet's pref (and/or complaints about its existence, often with the argument, "But I'm not medically qualified to join the military, so vet's pref is unfair!") I'd recommend you use the search function and spend some time reading up on it.
deltatango  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:04:45 PM(UTC)
deltatango

Quote:
Originally posted by IHS_employee:
"You know I thought this was a site for serious conversation..."

that was your first mistake Eek
mwm158  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:41:44 PM(UTC)
mwm158

I stubbed my toe while walking to a recruitment office. I didn't end up enlisting, but can I have 10 points anyway?!? PLEEEEEAAAAAASE!
mhc5096  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:45:06 PM(UTC)
mhc5096

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry after reading this question...
CIS 2008-Present<br />ICE 2007-2008<br />CBP 2003-2007<br />INS 2001-2003<br /><br />USAFR 2009-2011<br />VTANG 1995-2009<br />USNR 1989-1995
jcizzle  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:58:51 PM(UTC)
jcizzle

Even though medical disqualifiers don't deserve vet preference - it does suck pretty badly for someone who wants to join and can't. I'm in that boat right now and may not be able to gain a commission because I had asthma at an early age and was continually prescribed inhalers, even though I haven't actually needed them since I was very young. It is completely understandable why something like asthma is a PDQ, but it is still unfortunate that there isn't a better policy considering how widespread the condition is. Gotta make due with what you have in the end I guess.

Best of luck to your friend IHS_employee. Hopefully he or she will be able to land something without those extra 5-10 points.
deltatango  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:31:22 PM(UTC)
deltatango

whoa, i'm shocked...i did some research...the recruiter should have given you a form - "DENIED ENLISTMENT THROUGH NO FAULT OF APPLICANT" - a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo....you can read thru it but the meat of this document is on the back...it will (or should) say - "the bearer of this certificate is entitled to one 12oz cup of coffee at all participating McDonalds restaurant"...there you go...not exactly VET status but, hey, whadayawantfernuthin...rrrrrubber biscuits?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed