Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Griffin  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 7:13:11 AM(UTC)
Griffin

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. So this is my first federal job application since I received my official disability rating from the VA. I previously qualified for 5-pt preference and could prove that with my DD214, but now I've got a rating of more than 30% so I qualify for the 10-pt preference, as well as the '30% Disabled Veteran' stuff for the veteran hiring authority. And this brings up several questions.

1) The SF-15 requires documentation of my disability rating from the VA. I've got the letter with my rating, but it also has a laundry list of my medical problems on it which are, frankly (and legally), no one's business but my own and the VA. Can I get an official letter from the VA that just verifies my rating (or hopefully just that I'm rated 30% or more and not the exact rating) WITHOUT the list of problems? If so, how do I get it? It would seem such a letter would be a fairly standard thing for just the reason I mentioned- my exact rating, and especially why I'm rated so, is legally no business of my prospective employer. Why then is there no easy way to get such a letter? Or maybe there is but I've just missed it in all me web searching. For that matter, why isn't a non-privacy violating version of the letter sent with your VA rating- since you will be required to show disability proof to any employer for preference purposes.

Anyway, that's more of a rant about illogical gov't procedures and distracting from my question about getting such a letter. And I had a second question...

B) Since I qualify for both 10-pt preference AND in the '30% or more' for Veteran Hiring Authority, if a particular job used both eligibilities, which would be the better one to apply under? Do they both kinda do the same thing? Or is one program somehow better than the other if both are an option in the application process?

Any information on anything I've asked, or ranted Wink, about would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Griffin  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 7:16:25 AM(UTC)
Griffin

Hi everyone. So this is my first federal job application since I received my official disability rating from the VA. I previously qualified for 5-pt preference and could prove that with my DD214, but now I've got a rating of more than 30% so I qualify for the 10-pt preference, as well as the '30% Disabled Veteran' stuff for the veteran hiring authority. And this brings up several questions.

1) The SF-15 requires documentation of my disability rating from the VA. I've got the letter with my rating, but it also has a laundry list of my medical problems on it which are, frankly (and legally), no one's business but my own and the VA. Can I get an official letter from the VA that just verifies my rating (or hopefully just that I'm rated 30% or more and not the exact rating) WITHOUT the list of problems? If so, how do I get it? It would seem such a letter would be a fairly standard thing for just the reason I mentioned- my exact rating, and especially why I'm rated so, is legally no business of my prospective employer. Why then is there no easy way to get such a letter? Or maybe there is but I've just missed it in all me web searching. For that matter, why isn't a non-privacy violating version of the letter sent with your VA rating- since you will be required to show disability proof to any employer for preference purposes.

Anyway, that's more of a rant about illogical gov't procedures and distracting from my question about getting such a letter. And I had a second question...

B) Since I qualify for both 10-pt preference AND in the '30% or more' for Veteran Hiring Authority, if a particular job used both eligibilities, which would be the better one to apply under? Do they both kinda do the same thing? Or is one program somehow better than the other if both are an option in the application process?

Any information on anything I've asked, or ranted Wink, about would be very appreciated. Thanks!
tucker515  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 8:02:04 AM(UTC)
tucker515

Call the VA- there is an 800 number somewhere- and ask them to issue you a letter for civil service purposes. They will know what you are talking about. It will say that you ____% disabled. They are very fast at this- you will have it in a few days. You can also redact (black out) the medical info and submit that.

Here is the number to call:
1-800-827-1000

[This message was edited by tucker515 on October 09, 2009 at 10:35 PM.]
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
edalder  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 8:20:30 AM(UTC)
edalder

A federal agency generally has to justify why it did not give a 10 point veteran a job that he or she otherwise qualified for.

You pretty much float to the top of the list for most entry level jobs.

I would call the VA and ask if it is possible to get a letter of the type that you want. When I was in HR I seem to recall seeing these VA verification letters in Official Personnel Files (OPF) and they generally did not mention the specific nature of the disabilities that were the basis for the rating.
Kivi
officerbill  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 12:34:48 PM(UTC)
officerbill

If two 30% vets are applying for a data entry job it matters to the employer if one is disabled for carpal tunnel and the other is disabled for bad knees. Or if there are multiple vets with the same disability level shouldn't the employer be allowed to decide which one of those will need the least amount of accomodation?
I can't see how you can justify having it both ways, you want the benefits of the disability rating, but you don't want anyone to know what the disability is.
tucker515  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 9:20:22 PM(UTC)
tucker515

You may disagree- but that is the law. I could have carpal tunnel as a non-vet and the agency would not know unless I chose to inform them. All that matters is that I can do with job, with reasonable accomodation if necessary. If a job has specific physical requirements, then there is a pre-employment physical and a disabled vet has to meet the same standards as anyone else.
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
officerbill  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 1:10:33 AM(UTC)
officerbill

I'm not disputing whether or not it is the law or if he is entitled to the "benefits" that his disablity brings.
All I'm saying is that if you are not embarrassed about taking the boost that your disabilty gives you then you shouldn't be embarrassed about what that disablity is.
I don't mean taking out billboards, but if someone, such as an employer, has a legitimate reason for asking you shouldn't have a problem with them knowing. Unless the disablity was humiliating (service related syphilis), seemsridiculous (chronic turf-toe), or you don't want your employer to know that you are supposed to be too disabled to do something that you do every day (bad back, but you're captain of the bowling team).
K-9  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 2:17:32 AM(UTC)
K-9

Guess your not for the troops and the ones that have problems. Sounds your all for noone getting what they should for service to the U.S.

This is my second Tour. I have a 50%Comp and I can still do everything and pass the test with more points then the ones without. Since you have never read how the ratings are evaluated it is based on things that have happend while in service or acted up from service and that the things will only get worse in time, not better.

SGT. K
officerbill  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:10:20 PM(UTC)
officerbill

Read my posts, where did I say that?
If it has been determined that he has a disability then fine. I never said that he should be denied his benefits based on the type of disability, just that a potential employer has a legitimate interest in the nature of the disability.
I am a veteran and a police sergeant in NY, I have a 15% work related disability due to my shoulder being dislocated and injured while making an arrest several years ago. I have a restricted range of motion in my left arm and pain if I work with my arm raised for an extended period of time. I earned my disability honorably and I have no problem letting anyone know what it is and how it was caused.
THAT's what my post says.
BTW the "turf-toe" thing is real, one of our officers received a disabilty retirement due to a foot injury on his toes which prevented him from wearing closed toe shoes.
Govthopeful  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 1:06:26 PM(UTC)
Govthopeful

Go for the 10 point preference and this will help you the most. It will open more doors than all the rest.

Keep us informed how the change in status helped. I'm also waiting for my status letter so hopefully it will be the same.
mbee  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:15:50 AM(UTC)
mbee

I just had my Va Medical EXAM 30 days ago. How long does it take to receive the Disability Rating Letter?
gould  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:36:01 AM(UTC)
gould

If you've had your physical, and you've been RATED (You actually know for a fact that you're NOW; 30, 40, 50....100% rated; it's as simple as calling the 1-800 number for the Vet. Admin. and asking that they mail you a "proof of rating" letter. You'll get it within 2 weeks.

1-800-827-1000
mbee  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:24:05 AM(UTC)
mbee

Thanks 1govguy i will try in the am.
rjlopez173  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:09:32 PM(UTC)
rjlopez173

Usually up to a year after the Initial VA medical examination. With the current back load it is more than a year may be as far as 3? Good thing, any rating given is backed paid to the date of the original application.
nicks0r  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2009 4:06:14 AM(UTC)
nicks0r

.nicks0r2013-03-22 16:40:10
Zing  
#16 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2009 1:11:21 PM(UTC)
Zing

just call fore mentioned 1 800 827 1000 and ask for a Veterans Preference letter be sent to you. This letter will show that you are service connected 30% or higher. If you have a VA regional office close by you can even go in and request on in person. We do them all day long, especially in this economy.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed