Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alpha  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:18:49 AM(UTC)
alpha

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

I'm (and others over in the CIA Scholarship thread are) trying to find out a little bit about the CIA's hiring process and time-line.

I know it's probably a little different for the scholarship program applicants, but if anyone would be a able to give sort of a summary and/or rough timeline of the process, that would be much appreciated.

We are all at different phases of the process right now...I just took the brainbench tests last week, a couple other just mailed in the "additional materials", and a few are waiting for the email about the testing.

Anyway, we would all be very grateful if anyone would be able to share some info.

Thanks!
syk9482  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:30:25 AM(UTC)
syk9482

6/08 - Applied to CIA
8/08 - Received email to see if I was still interested
9/08 - Took Brainbench tests, sent in writing samples and cover letter
5/09 - Interviewed
8/09 - Received a request for additional writing samples
Present - Still waiting

At this point I'm not holding my breath. During this entire process, I've applied to and accepted a different job. According to the presentation that the CIA gave all the prospects, if I was given an offer tomorrow it'd be 9-12 more months before I'd be cleared to come aboard.
PG131389  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:32:01 AM(UTC)
PG131389

Interesting, thanks!
PG131389  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:33:33 AM(UTC)
PG131389

quote:
Originally posted by Username1:
Here's a timeline from some engineer who applied in 2006:
http://www.vault.com/messages/Central-Intelligence-Agency/Central-Intelligence-Agency-1538634.html

Also, check out this guy's story about when he applied back in the early 00's. He mentions racism, corruption, and sex involved in his recruitment process. I don't think the site's been updated since 2005 (according to the copyright). I hope he wasn't assassinated for saying too much. Eek
http://www.khalidelhassan.com
I like these two sections the best:
http://www.khalidelhassan.com/Employment_Seminar.html
http://www.khalidelhassan.com/Interviews.html

I saw that website as well, but I took it with a grain of salt because he seemed to have an agenda.
alpha  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:34:59 AM(UTC)
alpha

quote:
Originally posted by DHS_SK:
According to the presentation that the CIA gave all the prospects, if I was given an offer tomorrow it'd be 9-12 more months before I'd be cleared to come aboard.

That's why I'm thinking that the process for the Scholarship program has to be altered a little bit. The deadline to apply for it was Oct. 15, and it says that if selected, we would start by the end of May. I guess we're just pushed through the system a little faster? Or maybe they only give us some sort of interim clearance and they finish the BI over our 1st summer of work or something.

Anyway, thanks for the info, and good luck.
PG131389  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:39:29 AM(UTC)
PG131389

They are probably given an interim clearance, I don't think the CIA would rush a background investigation.
F355  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 5:47:45 AM(UTC)
F355

quote:
6/08 - Applied to CIA
5/09 - Interviewed
Present - Still waiting

At this point I'm not holding my breath. During this entire process, I've applied to and accepted a different job. According to the presentation that the CIA gave all the prospects, if I was given an offer tomorrow it'd be 9-12 more months before I'd be cleared to come aboard.

Uh.. should you be posting this? When I went through the process, they made it very clear to me that I should not discuss it with anyone except for my wife.
alpha  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 5:58:37 AM(UTC)
alpha

quote:
Originally posted by F355:
quote:
6/08 - Applied to CIA
5/09 - Interviewed
Present - Still waiting

Uh.. should you be posting this? When I went through the process, they made it very clear to me that I should not discuss it with anyone except for my wife.

They may tell applicants different things based on the position that they're applying for. I know that in the non-disclosure agreement I signed, it didn't really say anything about not being able to discuss the process. It just said something like use your own judgment when talking about potentially sensitive information, and don't tell people where the interview facilities are. It also said that they help you along the application process in deciding what you can and can't say.
BBernie  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:02:27 AM(UTC)
BBernie

There is nothing classified about this. Don't worry, no state secrets were released. I'm so tired of this BS. My conditional offer of employment with the FBI was rescinded and I can't get a straight answer as to why.
alpha  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:07:16 AM(UTC)
alpha

quote:
Originally posted by BBernie:
There is nothing classified about this. Don't worry, no state secrets were released. I'm so tired of this BS. My conditional offer of employment with the FBI was rescinded and I can't get a straight answer as to why.

I don't really know much about the 3-letter agencies, but are they required to tell you why they rescind you?
fed2010  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:11:01 AM(UTC)
fed2010

No they just send you a letter stating that you are not being considered due to suitability. Or, if you don't make it through security they can deny you a security clearance
alpha  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:13:53 AM(UTC)
alpha

quote:
Originally posted by fed2010:
No they just send you a letter stating that you are not being considered due to suitability.

Suitability? So they don't even need a REAL reason I guess.
BBernie  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:18:27 AM(UTC)
BBernie

Umm, that is only partially correct. You may very well be suitable and qualified. Some hiring decisions are based on a public relations standpoint, but the bureau or agency will never tell you this. In other words, the primary interest is in protecting the image of the organization, no matter what the situation is. For example, someone well qualified and with say, significant problems regarding alcohol that were resolved years ago, and had no criminal or other problems would be eligible for a security clearance could be denied employment with the FBI because of appearances. A hiring manager looks at an application that might have gone through all the steps (i.e., security interview, polygraph, drug test, etc.) and looks at the info and says "Hmm, this doesn't look good for the organization, let's get rid of this one." It happened to me and I'm a retired disabled veteran (service-connected). (Just to let yo know what you are getting into and can expect -- you'll be treated like ****, believe me.)
fed2010  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:25:45 AM(UTC)
fed2010

Suitability is a catch all in the excepted service. If the Bureau doesn't think you're suitable due to prior alcohol use then that is their prerogative. But that is a suitability denial. If you don't stack up in terms of experience compared to other applicants and you are denied that is also a suitability denial. Think of it this way, there is only one spot open and two candidates. You and the other applicant have equal qualifications but you had a prior alcohol problem. They would chose the person without the prior issue, and you would be denied due to suitability and not security clearance.
BBernie  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:29:55 AM(UTC)
BBernie

Alcohol abuse is a common among veterans. It can be used to DQ someone, but I researched this before I applied. If that was the reason, then it should have been addressed months before. I mean, like my job offer was rescinded 6 months into my application, with no prior indication that there was a problem with my hiring. That is pure BS. I should have never been given a conditional job offer, if that's the reasoning. Don't tell me it was a suitability issue. I never would have applied if I thought I wasn't qualified and suitable.
alpha  
#16 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:29:58 AM(UTC)
alpha

quote:
Umm, that is only partially correct. You may very well be suitable and qualified. Some hiring decisions are based on a public relations standpoint, but the bureau or agency will never tell you this. In other words, the primary interest is in protecting the image of the organization, no matter what the situation is. For example, someone well qualified and with say, significant problems regarding alcohol that were resolved years ago, and had no criminal or other problems would be eligible for a security clearance could be denied employment with the FBI because of appearances. A hiring manager looks at an application that might have gone through all the steps (i.e., security interview, polygraph, drug test, etc.) and looks at the info and says "Hmm, this doesn't look good for the organization, let's get rid of this one." It happened to me and I'm a retired disabled veteran (service-connected). (Just to let yo know what you are getting into and can expect -- you'll be treated like ****, believe me.)

Sorry to hear that. Keep trying, and good luck.

quote:
Think of it this way, there is only one spot open and two candidates. You and the other applicant have equal qualifications but you had a prior alcohol problem. They would chose the person without the prior issue, and you would be denied due to suitability and not security clearance.

Honestly, that seems fairly reasonable. I think most people would choose the person that does not have a history of anything like that (not just specifically alcohol abuse).
alpha  
#17 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:31:11 AM(UTC)
alpha

quote:
Alcohol abuse is a common among veterans. It can be used to DQ someone, but I researched this before I applied. If that was the reason, then it should have been addressed months before. I mean, like my job offer was rescinded 6 months into my application, with no prior indication that there was a problem with my hiring. That is pure BS. Don't tell me it was a suitability issue. I never would have applied if I thought I wasn't qualified and suitable.

Then I guess you have to assume it was some other reason, whatever it may be. Maybe another applicant was just extremely over-qualified.
BBernie  
#18 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 6:33:00 AM(UTC)
BBernie

Fair enough. But my contention is I should have been notified sooner. And been given an indication that my application might pose a problem. My AC never indicated this at all at anytime. That's what I have a problem with. There was plenty of time to do this. A rejection letter in the mail after receiving no info on my application status is not right. A little courtesy, respect and professionalism is not asking too much.
fed2010  
#19 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 10:39:01 PM(UTC)
fed2010

The best advice I can give for waiting on CIA hiring or any other intel/law enforcement agency is to apply and forget about it. It is a long process, with little transparency into what is happening. You will drive yourself crazy with timelines and status updates with fellow applicants. Just put in your application and try to live normally. Worrying about phone calls or 202/unknown are codes is too frustrating and draining. The process is designed to weed out candidates in an organic fashion. It could be your past history, job experience, college gpa, suitability issues, moral issues, or any other multitude of things that remove you from consideration. Go into the process with an open mind and excitement, but be prepared for the worst and don't make any drastic decisions (ie. quitting your current job, not searching for other opportunities). With that said, good luck!
impatient  
#20 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2009 10:59:14 PM(UTC)
impatient

-

impatient2009-11-18 04:15:35
Rss Feed  Atom Feed